Alex Iwobi: Everything you wanted to know about Big 45
Alex Iwobi, Nigerian Football| 14.05.2020
Alexander Chuka Iwobi popularly known as Alex Iwobi is a Nigerian professional soccer player who plays as a winger for Everton F.C. Iwobi is of Igbo ancestry, one of the three major tribes in Nigeria and hails from Onitsha in Anambra State. He was born on Friday, May 3rd, 1996 in Lagos, Nigeria but has spent most of his life abroad in England. At 24, Iwobi measures up at 5ft’11inches and formerly played for Arsenal F.C.
Iwobi was born in Lagos and has just one sibling, his sister Marie Iwobi. When he was 4 years old his family moved to England and Iwobi got to be raised in an east London estate close to Bolton at Newham. As a child Alex Iwobi was very active and interested in football based on the fact that his father Chuba Iwobi was a former amateur league player and his mother’s brother was Nigerian soccer legend, Jay-Jay Okocha. He got his start playing soccer for the local youth soccer team at Newham.
Alex Iwobi was recruited into the arsenal F.C Academy at age 8 and he spent his time joggling between schoolwork and training to be a professional soccer player one day. As time went by Iwobi continued to grow to be a better soccer player but that didn’t mean there were no issues. Iwobi was almost kicked out of the arsenal academy twice when he was 14 and 16 years old because he wasn’t physically imposing enough. Iwobi stood tall and made the cut, he ended up doing very well in the Arsenal academy and graduated into the senior team by 2015. Iwobi scored only one headed goal in a hundred appearances for Arsenal.
According to thesun.co.uk, Iwobi was teased jokingly by his teammates at Everton but after weeks of training solely on his headed finishing, he scored a header for wolves in his Premier League debut showing his determination to keep improving as a player. Alex Iwobi continues to be a dedicated player for country and club, The wide man scored two goals in his first three appearances for Everton, Both goals against Lincoln in the Carabao cup and wolves in the Premier League.
Iwobi, Everton’s star-studded number 17 started his career at the Newham youth team where he was scouted and picked up by the arsenal academy at eight years old. He plays as a left-winger majorly but can function as a right-winger or central attacking midfielder. At 19, he made his debut for Arsenal under Arsene Wenger with the number 45 shirt which he later swapped for the no 17 shirts after Alexis Sanchez moved on from the no 17 to have the vacant no 7 shirts. Alex, Iwobi went on to make 149 appearances for the gunners, scoring 15 goals and winning the FA cup and community shield in 2017.
At the very last moment of the transfer window, IwobiIwobi made a shock move to the toffees at Godison park for a fee of about 40 million euros in total. At the national level, he represents Nigeria as a starter he wears the No 18 shirt and has 40 caps and 7 goals as of May 2020. He played a big part in the Nigerian 2018 world cup campaign and the 2019 Afcon bronze medal win. He is managed Elite project group Ltd, who are also agents for other soccer stars like Borrusia Dortmund’s Jordan Sancho, Norwich midfielder Todd Cantwell and Bukola Saka who is arsenal’s breakthrough teenage sensation this season.
Shock move to Everton
When Iwobi made a sudden move to Everton, it came as a shock for premier league soccer fans around the world because he was expected to be an Arsenal player for much longer. The deal to secure Iwobi's signature was not put into place until 2 hours before the 5 pm august 8th transfer deadline. Iwobi himself was in Dubai for a family vacation and had to rush down back to England to finalize the deal. Everton paid 28 million euros upfront, plus up to 7 million euros in additional fees, his contract also stipulates possible add-ons. Alex Iwobi was Marco Silva’s ( Everton’s coach) 7th summer signing after the star-studded signings of Andre Gomes, Fabian Delph, and Moies Kean amongst others. Iwobi went on to make his debut for Everton on the 23rd of August 2019.
Apart from his club salary, Alex Iwobi makes money from lucrative endorsement deals with several companies including Lg, Pepsi, multichoice, and Nike. Alex Iwobi's sponsored Football Boots are 2019-20: Nike Phantom VNM. Social media presence Although he is not all that active on social media, As of May 2020, Alex Iwobi’s Instagram handle is @AlexanderIwobi and with 1.3 million followers he is quite popular on the platform. He is also followed by various celebrities on Instagram including Manchester United’s Odion Ighalo and his Everton teammate Gylfi Sigurðsson and our captain Ahmed Musa.
Alex Iwobi’s love life today is a secret, way back in 2017, Iwobi broke up with his then sweetheart, Clarisse Juliette an Instagram model who dated IwobiIwobi for 4 long years. After then there hasn’t been much buzz about his love life although, he was reported to have had something to do with an Erin Budina, who is also an Instagram model.
Taste in cars
With all the money he makes, it's not strange that the toffees number 17 would surround himself with luxury. Iwobi reportedly owns a Mercedes-Benz Convertible a 2017 cabriolet. From all indications, it is a Mercedes-AMG C 43 4MATIC with full-time four-wheel drive and a 362 horse, 3.0-litre twin-turbo V6 engine. While Iwobi was still at the emirates, He was usually seen casually driving his BMW x16 beast to training, valued at 35,000 dollars the beautiful automobile costs almost 13 million naira. The football star has been reported in the past to have had matching cars with former girlfriend Clarisse Juliette but after things went south he dumped the car. Iwobi keeps things private and with the kind of money he makes, we can only imagine the toys we could find in his garage.
Facts you probably did not know about Alex Iwobi
- Alex Iwobi is related to Nigerian soccer legend Jay-jay Okocha. Jay-jay Okocha the Nigerian football legend is Alex Iwobi's blood relative, his maternal Uncle actually. Okocha is Iwobi’s mother’s junior brother and has been Iwobi’s main football inspiration as a child. It is reported that Alex Iwobi’s signing to Arsenals academy was in one way or the other influenced by Okocha. •He is nicknamed ‘the prince of nutmegs’ for his dribbling skills.
- Iwobi does not have any tattoos
- He earns 4 million Euros a year, approximately 1.9 billion naira a year Alex Iwobi is presently worth 8.4 million Euros about 4 billion in Nigerian currency. Like all soccer players, Iwobi earns an outstanding amount of money for a Nigerian. With about 1.9 billion naira a year just from his club salary minus other endorsement deals, Iwobi is making very cool cash. Iwobi makes about 158 million naira monthly, 36.5 million weekly, 5.2 miilon naira daily even hourly in Nigerian currency.its
- He played for England initially before choosing to represent Nigeria Not many know this but due to his dual citizenship standing Iwobi had the opportunity to play for either England or Nigeria but chose the later when he got of age. But before that he played for England at the under-16 and under-23 level but made the choice to stick to Nigeria, earning his debut at age 19.
- He is the 3rd most valuable Nigerian player According to transfermarkt.com, Iwobi is worth 25.50 million euros as updated on the 8th April 2020 while number one Wilfred Ndidi of Leicester is worth 45 million Euros. Ahead of Alex Iwobi on the rankings is Samuel Chwukweze playing for Villarreal valued at 27 million euros.
- He won the CAF best African youth player award
- His favorite food is Okro soup and garri According to Chuba Iwobi, his father his favorite food is his mothers' homemade garri with Okro soup, a popular delicacy in Nigeria.
- As at July 2019, Alex Iwobi was listed on the Forbes 30 Under 30 list, at the Forbes Africa under 30 meet up. Iwobi was one of the 18 Nigerians including Burna boy that were listed by Forbes out of 120 African changemakers. With Iwobi being listed under the sports category. Fellow African soccer players listed included Pierre- aubumayeng and Liverpool’s Sadio Mane. As a football player Iwobi has amassed the following accolades
- CAF best African youth player award, 2016
- CAF best 11( as a substitute), 2016
- FA Cup, 2016/2017
- Community shield, 2015,2017
- Victory shield (England under 16), 2011
- Africa cup of Nations: third place, 2019
- EFL cup: runners up
- UEFA Europa League: runners up, 2018/2019
Alex Iwobi, where is he now
Iwobi currently plays good football for Everton and on a good day, he spends time at Sunny Cutz in South Ockendon, England having his hair cut. As for hobbies, he plays soccer, watches movies, and plays video games in his spare time. Career-wise, Alex Iwobi is on his way to being a Nigerian legend like his uncle Okocha. Surely, we can expect more to come from him.
100% up to NGN 100,000 On First Deposit
100% FIRST DEPOSIT BONUS UP TO 100 EUR!
200% Bonus On Your First Deposit
100% Welcome Bonus + 2 Free Bets
Get 100% stake back into your account
100% Welcome Bonus Up To 50,000 NGN
100% bonus up to €100 on the first deposit!
1st Deposit - 100% Bonus, 2nd - 50%, 3rd - 25%
200% First Deposit Bonus
Win Up To 250% Extra In CASH!